Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yeasayer, While You Wait

Which face does not belong?

I apologize for the slowdown in posts. It's all for good reason, I assure you. I've been slaving away (ok, fine, so interviewing some of your favorite bands isn't slaving, but cut me a break) writing some hefty articles on the Apples in Stereo, Yeasayer, and schtuff. (P.S. I also work a day job. 45 hours a week. If you can pay my salary to blog full-time, my answer will be "YES!" in a hot second.)

The great thing is, as I slave, as I transcribe, and as I rub my head against the wall in tedium, I find some gems - er, amusing quotes.

When I asked Anand Wilder of Yeasayer how he feels about the uniformity in the sound and mood of a Beach House album, as compared to the wild mood swings of Odd Blood, here's what he said:

“If I’m in a mood where I just want to listen to really beautiful music, and relax, and kinda bliss out, then I want to listen to the Beach House album. You could listen to it all the way through without getting annoyed. I feel like our album, we’re trying to do something different. We’re trying to do something different on every song, and some songs are soothing, some songs are dancey, some songs are kinda hypnotic and mesmerizing, other ones are really dark and sound maybe more like movie background music than a song. You could say there are advantages and disadvantages to both styles. Maybe our album is not very cohesive, and it’s all over the place, but I think I would just get too bored if I was playing songs that all sounded the same on the road. We like to use a sound for one song, and that’s it – it’s kinda used up. You want to find something new. But I think that’s really just up to a person, the individual taste. I think if we were really sophisticated, we could make an album that had a similar kind of sound, and it would also be really interesting from front to finish, but I don’t know if we’re good enough to be able to do that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment